Sunday, May 3, 2015

Scrap Busting

My scrap busting projects are so small, they aren't busting anything.  But I'm busting with delight.

There is absolutely no noticeable dent in my scrap boxes.  Oh, who cares!  The fun is all in the fun of creating.  If I really wanted the scraps to disappear I'd toss them out on their ear.

The season for many refreshing cold drinks is nearly upon us and I'm getting ready for it.

After the wild orange keeper, came the wild red bottle/can wrap.


These little gems are such fun to make!  They practically design themselves with little effort from me.


Following is a tutorial for my process.  

Get your scraps together and some batting, a lining fabric choice and velcro.


Cutting measurements:

Body:
Batting - 8-1/4" x 4"
Lining - 8-1/4" x 4"

Tab:
Batting - 3" x 1-1/2"
Lining - 3-1/2 x 2-1/4"

Binding:
1-1/4" x 30"

Rubber Grip Strip:
7-1/4" x 3/4"

Velcro strips:
3/4" x 2-1/2" 


Glue the grip strip to the right side of the lining 1/2" from the top edge.  (It will get sewn down while you stitch the scraps on the front.)


For the body, layer lining piece right side down.  Place batting over lining.  Begin placing fabric scraps randomly on the batting.  Move the pieces around until your design looks pleasing.

For the tab, the batting is cut just inside the seam allowance so as not to add bulk after turning right side out.  Use the lining piece as a guide for placing the fabric scraps.  Allow 1/4" seam allowance on three sides and 1/2" seam allowance to the remaining long edge.


Here's my layout for both pieces.  Before pressing and sewing, I remove the spiral from the body piece and the bunting from the tab.  Also remove the lining from the tab (it gets sewn on later).  

Press the pieces to the batting.  I also use a glue stick to tack a few pieces down to help keep the scraps together while in the process of stitching them down.


After stitching the bases of the body and tab, I fused and stitched the spiral and the bunting.  You will have guessed by now what a marvelous time I'm having with fabric spirals.  They are a fun added element to the design.


The backsides look like this.  

For the tab, lay the lining piece right side down over the scrapy side.  Stitch the 1/4" seam allowance around the three edges leaving the 1/2" edge open.


Trim off the corners and turn the tab right side out and press.


Layer the tab right side up centered on the backside of the body piece (unstitched edge to the outside) I use a glue stick to hold it in place.


From the right side of the body piece, stitch the binding on all the way around.  Press the binding away from the body.  This is how it looks from the backside.


I stitch the binding to the backside by hand.  This is how it looks at this point.


Fold the tab piece out over the binding.  Press.


From the right side, stitch the tab in place by top stitching on the binding.  The photo below shows how that looks from the backside.


Add the velcro hook piece to the backside of the tab and the velcro loop piece to the front of the wrap as shown.


All done.


Now put that fun wrap to good use.

CHEERS!

xxx
Annie

18 comments:

sheila 77 said...

Oh I love your little scraps and I love to watch you play with them. Call me crazy, but I really like the composition on the blue tab with the tiny orange flower square and the bunting, it would make a perfect (very) mini-quilt. But of course, I like all the rest too.
Great clear instructions, thanks Annie.

Anonymous said...

Alright! I made a PDF of this and will give it a go. I'm horrible at random scraps! At least I have a copy to go by :))) These are so darn cute!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

I love it Annie! Thanks for the tutorial. Do you use a walking foot, a regular foot, an open-toe foot or free motion foot when you sew your little scraps in place? Your stitching is so neat and perfect! I have trouble seeing to get that close to the raw edges, so I am wondering what foot you use. I don't drink soda or beer, but I made a similar cover for covering an old oatmeal can to use as a thread catcher. and you could do a similar cover for other cans...or for ice cream or non-dairy frozen ice creams. You got me thinking now, LOL!!! Oh one more thing, do you have a template for your swirl? It's so perfectly cut, I was wondering how you cut it?

Spiced Coffee said...

Great tutorial, Annie!

Judy D in WA said...

How fun! I want to run in right now and play with scraps!!! Great tutorial Annie.

Lesley said...

Love how you used your scraps! So pretty with that striped border!

Marei said...

Damn, girl! I don't need any more projects to do!! but I HAVE to make some of these now. You're killing me, you know that, right?

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Wow you are really making extreme funky eye candy here Annie!! Don't think I could ever make this...too impatient but they are absolutely wonderful...just like you of course ;)
Big hugs
Donna xxx

Beezus said...

This is a cute project that I can see me indulging myself in making! This plus some un-paper towels have moved to the top of my practical but fun to make list.:-)

Tera Callihan said...

Awesome, so much fun!

Tera Callihan said...

Awesome, so much fun!

Patti said...

Absolutely adorable! Thanks so much for the great tutorial! I do have a question though. You have what looks like a postage stamp with two little girls on it. Is that from a printed fabric or is it some technique you use for actual photos?

Createology said...

Thank you Annie for sharing your tutorial for making these uber fun scrappy bottle/can covers. I adore how you put the scraps together. BLUEtiful Bliss Dear...

Sandy said...

You are so clever and talented!! I love what you did with your scraps!!!
Sandy xx

West Michigan Quilter said...

I love these. You are so talented. Thanks for the tutorial. I'll have to link to you so my Happy Scrappers will see what they can do.

Miss Iowa said...

Your can cozies are magnificent! Fun, flirty and functional. I wish I sewed.

Deb said...

Wow, that's the most amazing bottle/can cozy I've ever seen! Beautiful Annie.

pinsandneedles said...

These are so clever Annie! You sure know how to make good use of your scraps! Love the spirals...to do cut them by hand?